Friday, October 8, 2010

no judgment.

“You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do.”
-Eleanor Roosevelt


How many times do we back down because of fear? People daily are faced with making big life decisions. The book tells a story about ‘a very big life decision’. He had already made his decision, committed to it, and committed to many other people as well—all that was left was “to dot his I’s and cross his T’s.” The change he was challenging himself to make wasn’t one done on a whim. He had spent many months preparing and talking with others to make sure it was for the best. Yet the final steps to make this change would require him to come face-to-face with a deep-rooted fear he had since childhood. In the end he ended up baking down. I know I have had the same kind of decisions to make. I know I have also backed down when I looked fear in the eye. It goes on to say (I truly believe this) No one.. NO ONE can pass judgment on anyone, for each of us has to fight our own battles, and we can only truly understand the battles when we are in the shoes of the battler. I know judgment is something that comes naturally. I also have been completely 'trying' to cut judgment out of my life completely.

It goes on to say what became abundantly clear that many people have the struggle: seeking the truth, finding it, and then letting fear take it away. Is that right or wrong? It’s up to you. If we do not change, we will not get different results than we already have.

We can only overcome fear when we embrace it.

Acknowledge we are scared and terrified, but we should look from all angles, make the best decision we can, and then take a deep breath and go forward.

Fear is a calling to grow.

No comments: